Thursday, December 30, 2010

Challenge Redo

I'm finally on the other side of this cold/flu/whatever the heck it was that kept me out of the beloved yoga room for the past 3 days.  I  went to the doctor a couple of days ago to get some medicine to kick this thing in the pants.  Oh, it works - I think the Z-Pack would cure the plague.  Although I'm against taking medicine, I'm also a weenie when it comes to being sick. 
 
I taught class Monday night (before I went to the doctor) and had a pretty raspy voice.  Well, I LOVE to talk so after greeting the students and chit chatting, it was time to teach.  By the time I put the head set on and said "good afternoon.  How are y'all doin'?" I had completely lost my voice.  I'd say it sounded like Marge Simpson.  Let me rephrase that..... Marge Simpson who had just smoked 3 packs of cigarettes.  But I got through it and decided it was time to get healthy (with the help of medication) because I had a class to teach in another 48 hours.

Okay.... back to my "challenge redo".  I just decided to start all over.  Day 1 started yesterday.  My teacher-friend Carolyn taught a marvelous class.  Inspiring, witty, and motivating.  I kind of new at the beginning that I would have a hard time getting through the class.  My goal was to "sweat it out" as we say.  Within the first five minutes I knew this was going to be a tough one.  Whoa-Mama!  I rarely "take a knee" or sit out of a posture so this was a particularly humbling experience when I was on my 10th or so "take a knee".  Its also a little embarrassing when students see me barely able to scrape myself off the ground and do, um..... I'd say 15% of each posture.  But.... everyone has their day and they are probably not even caring how much I'm suffering because they are probably also suffering a bit in their own way. 

It seems to be a tough week for a lot of folks in the yoga room .  Probably all of the holiday eating, drinking, and merry-making.  Let me tell ya.... what you eat really likes to come back to haunt you in the hot room.  It's always a great lesson.  This is just one of the numerous benefits of this yoga.  It keeps your eating in check for the most part and is a heavy reminder of the consequences. 

We have another trip to Tyler, TX tomorrow.  Lots going on.  Setting up our business account at the bank, going to the Smith County Courthouse for some MORE business stuff, and getting a storage unit. 

So, off to day 2 of my challenge.  I'm looking forward to getting back in the hot room.  It has to be better than yesterday!  

2 comments:

  1. i can relate to so much about this post! i hate medicine, too, but had to take some this week in relation to my stomach bug. my joints were killing me and i woke up at 6 am to chomp down two ibuprofen and head back to bed.

    everyone has their bad days, for sure. i think it can be kind of good for students to see teachers being less than 100% sometimes. it reminds us that we're all human.

    good for you for getting back to the room after being so sick. it's easy to let your head get in the way the longer you're away from class, but you seem to have it all under control. good luck on your challenge, i know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! It helps to just get back into it and do the best you can on that day. :-)

    ReplyDelete