Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 13 - Crybaby Chicken

The challenge was really "challenging" yesterday.  Up until yesterday, I have been able to stay somewhat motivated to go to class, pack the bag full of yoga clothes, towel, water, stay hydrated, empty stomach (very VERY important) and ready to go.  But for some reason yesterday I had made up my mind that I was going to "skip" yesterday and just teach.  I was tired, I didn't eat lunch until late, and my decision was made. 

Then, I had a change of heart.  The Last Minute Larry that I am,  I  decided at 3:30 that I would take the 4:30 class and then turn around and teach the 6:30.  I was not feeling it but I went anyway.  I was in the first breathing exercise and really wanted to leave class.  That was pretty much all I thought about for the first 3 postures.  I would just explain to Sherry - who was teaching - later that I just couldn't handle a class today.  Not today.  No particular reason.... I just did NOT want to be there. 
Then I had a little talk with myself during "party time" (the first water break).  "Come ON!  Seriously?  You can't handle a class?  You went to teacher training, did 2 classes a day for 9 weeks.  Get a grip girlie."  Then I laughed to myself and remembered Bikram in training when he called us a bunch of Crybaby-Chickens about week 3 into training.  Made me just get out of my head, quit feeling sorry for myself and just have a great class.  I would find something to improve upon. 



Then it hit me!  I was in standing head to knee pose and it dawned on me that my grip was pretty wimpy.  I'm still focusing on and trying to improve on the little things in hopes that my asanas will get better overall.  The grip is supposed to be 3 inches below the toes and I was just grabbing my foot where ever it felt comfortable, which was too close to my toes.  I would seriously lose the grip (partly because I am sweating buckets by this part of class - barely 30 minutes into it) and get frustrated then come out of the posture.  So, the 3 inches below the toes actually works!  How long have I been doing this yoga?  Long enough to know better than to try it my way instead of the right way.  What a revelation! Now I have something new to focus on.  Not just the "thumbs included" in the grip but the whole grip itself.  Okay..... those of you who do not do Bikram yoga are probably bored at this point.  Bikram yogis who are reading this are right there with me celebrating.

I still had a very hard time staying motivated and not give in to my thinking process.  We were almost finished with class - second to the last posture - almost over when I got a sudden burst of energy and was SO happy that I was there, struggling, taking class with everyone else.  I had more than enough energy for the next class I was going to teach.  Again..... a happy ending. 

In other news..... my husband, The Sailor, decided he would take a class at the closest Bikram Yoga studio, which is about an hour away from where he is working, at Bikram Yoga Mobile.  He decided to rent a car for a while, drive an hour after a long work day and take a well deserved Bikram Yoga class.  That is so inspiring to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment