Sunday, January 2, 2011

Days 3 and 4 - The Grip

The past few days have been quite challenging in the yoga room but getting better.  I started thinking about things I need to work on in my own practice.  I was thinking about this is in savasana when I was supposed to be relaxing.  By the end of class I had a list a mile long.  I guess that is just another great aspect of Bikram Yoga.  Even though it's the same postures each class, there is always something new to work on.  Like not making a list in my head during savasana.

The list starts here and is certainly never ending. 

1.  THE GRIP.  Thumbs included in the grip - I've been really focusing on the thumbs lately.  I've been neglecting to include them in the grip.  The last few classes I've made them a part of the "all 10 fingers interlocked".  Could this be a turning point in some of my most challenging postures?  We'll see throughout the 60 day challenge if I can keep my focus on the "thumbs included in the grip". 
2.  Pranayama Breathing - seeing the wall behind me at least second set of breathing.  First set I'm just trying to get my neck and shoulders to relax and move in sync with my breathing.
3.  Half Moon Backbending - seeing the floor behind me.  I mean right behind me.  I've done that a couple of times but it freaked me out so much that the next opportunity I had to "look back, fall back, way back, go back"  my brain got in the way and I just stopped.  Strange how that works.  I really do believe that it is in the release sometimes that you have the best breakthroughs. 

We'll stop there with the LIST, otherwise this will be a novel-length blog entry.  No one
wants that. 

My husband took class yesterday with me.  The Sailor hadn't taken a class in probably 4 or 5 months.  I was a total nag about him taking a class and he just finally gave in probably to shut me up.  He's good like that.  I actually felt really bad because he had a tough first class back and I think I caught him giving me stink-eye while he was lying on the floor.  I knew I shouldn't have looked him in the eye.  Good news is he is coming back to take class with me today and probably all the rest of the week before he goes back to the rig to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment