Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 9 - Taking and Teaching

This is always a tricky one for me.  Taking class then teaching one - back to back.  The good - I'm in the yoga room a lot, I like to listen to the dialogue / instruction before I teach, I sweat out the nervousness of getting up in front of a lot of people by killing myself in class, AND I only have to make one trip to pack the clothes for work / taking yoga.  There are all kinds of great benefits of taking class / teaching class back to back. 

On the other hand, the sweat pumps have been turned on and nothing can turn them back off for a couple of hours.  I sweat like a man.  I drink tons of water - then sweat some more.  I can't complain about it, though, because it's good for my skin :-) and detoxifying.  Here's the weird part.... I can just think about taking a hot yoga class and start sweating.  Strange. 
Well, I was trying to find something that wasn't so good about teaching and taking back to back (the pros and cons) but its all good! 

The class itself was great!  I had a little "emotional" moment and was all set to start bawling so I covered my face with my towel.  Then (here's the funny part....... wait for it........ wait for it.....) the teacher asked me if I was playing peek-a-boo with my towel.  If you have ever had the pleasure of laughing and crying at the same time, you know what a release it is.  It got me out of my funk in class and we had a good laugh about it later.  I wasn't really crying because of sadness, (I don't think), I just started thinking about our little house that we just put up for sale, the process of owning my own studio, and all the tiny details that go along with it - a little overwhelming.  But... everything is fine now :-)

Later on, I was talking to some friends about the peek-a-boo story, and admitted that I was a little sad about selling the house and that we live on the most awesome street.  Blessing.  Nothing can top living on Blessing!  Unless, you lived on  a street called Praise the Lord Lane, or Heavenly Avenue or something (I initially thought Pearly Gates Drive but that would take on a whole new meaning). 

Today will be day 10 of my 60 day challenge.  It's good to challenge yourself every now and then, give yourself a little kick in the pants, set new goals.  I'll be doing this yoga forever but I like to - about once a year or so - kick it up a notch and see what the challenge has in store.  It should be called a 60 day LIFE challenge :-) Managing your life while doing Bikram Yoga for 60 days. 

I think The Sailor will be doing his own challenge of sorts - taking class at Bikram Hot Yoga Mobile - updates later. 

2 comments:

  1. i always feel a little awkward when those crying moments pop up. the best thing about them is that your face is already red and wet, so unless you pull crazy faces, no one can really tell you're crying! the hardest part for me is trying to keep control of my breath and not hyperventilate.

    byd will miss you but having your own studio is going to freaking rock. it's totally normal to feel emotional and scared in the face of newness but you have many awesome things waiting ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Katie - it was a lesson in "laughing and crying". I appreciate your encouraging comments :-)

    ReplyDelete